Quapaw Area Council
|Home - Camping - Training - Calendar - Forms - Facilities - Maps - Search|
Trails and Patches
|Burns Park Hiking Trail
North Little Rock, AR
Burns Park is operated by the
City of North Little Rock, and is located on interstate 40 at the Burns Park Exit.
Service project opportunity! This trail is scheduled for rework. A note will be posted here when the plans are complete.
Read the history of Burns Park before the hike. Cub Scouts hike 5 miles; Boy Scouts hike 10 miles. The same patch is issued for either group
|Requirements For Earning Patch|
1. Submit tour permit
2. Read history of Burns Park before hiking the trail.
3. Cub Scouts hike 5 miles and Boy Scouts hike 10 miles.
4. Hike trail in uniform and do 30 minutes per person of trail improvements (pick up trash, trim limbs, line trail with rocks.
5. Answer the questions at the end of the history to the satisfaction of the leader in charge (den leader, patrol leader)
6. Patches can be obtained by unit leader submitting list of qualified hikers to the council office.
Hints for Hiking Trail.
1. Allow 3 to 4 hours for 5 mile trail.
2. Allow 6 to 8 hours for 10 mile trail.
3. Wear water-proof boots or shoes (Some areas are muddy).
4. Take Day Pack with lunch, canteen, compass, insect spray, etc.
5. Note on Map where RR (restroom) and W (water) are located.
6. For trail maintenance take trash bags, bowsaw.
7. Care should he taken crossing roads.
8. The trail goes by several bluffs and along steep banked creeks, so hike in a group or use the Buddy System.
9. Take and use the Outdoor Code.
There is a special camping area available for scouts. Reservations are required. Contact the North Little Rock Parks Department. RV Park Reservations @ (501) 771-0702
Back to Index of Trails and Patches
Quapaw Area Council - Boy Scouts Of America
3220 Cantrell Road, Little Rock, AR 72202
(501) 664-4780 -- Fax (501) 664-4785
|Copyright (©) 2000-2004 Quapaw Area Council|