Quapaw Area Council
|Home - Camping - Training - Calendar - Forms - Facilities - Maps - Search|
|The 50-Miler Award
This program is to stimulate Boy Scout, Varsity Scout and Explorer interest in personal fitness, self-reliance, knowledge of wood lore, and a practical understanding of conservation.
Chartered unit participation is most desirable; however, provisional groups are eligible. This award does not apply if any other is available for a trip.
The Boy Scout, Varsity Scout, or Explorer unit or provisional groups must follow these rules for a 50-miler trip.
The 50-Miler Award is presented to each qualifying individual for satisfactory participation in an approved trip. In order to qualify for the award, the group of which the individual is a member must fulfill all of the following requirements.
1. Make complete and satisfactory plans for the trip, including the possibilities of advancement..
2. Cover the trail or canoe or boat route of not less than 50 consecutive miles (a maximum of 10 miles per day); take a minimum of 5 consecutive days to complete the trip without the aid of motors. (In some areas, pack animals may be used)
3. During the time on the trail or waterway, complete a minimum of 10 hours each of group work on projects to improve the trail, springs, campsite, portage, or other area. If, after checking with recognized authorities, it is not possible to complete 10 hours each of group work on the trail, a similar project may be done in the unit's home area. (There should be no unauthorized cutting of brush or timber.)
4. Unit or tour leader must then file the 50-Miler Award application with the local council service center.
Back to index of Trails, Patches & Awards
Quapaw Area Council - Boy Scouts Of America
3220 Cantrell Road, Little Rock, AR 72202
(501) 664-4780 -- Fax (501) 664-4785
|Copyright (©) 2000-2004 Quapaw Area Council|